Offered at The Art Institute of Charlotte , The Art Institute of Dallas , and The Art Institute of Raleigh-Durham
Participation in this program may be limited by local drinking age requirements. Please contact your campus Dean for information.
The Culinary Management program blends theoretical and hands-on learning in the areas of culinary arts, management, human resources, finance, food and beverage operations and service. Students will be exposed to a variety of world cuisines and use ingredients and techniques from around the globe. Instruction in kitchen management, purchasing, cost control, menu design, and dining room operation provides students with business acumen. This degree takes an in-depth, comprehensive approach to culinary education; a management externship is an integral part of the curriculum as it provides an opportunity for application to real world situations. The program also includes a senior-level capstone class and senior practicum that require students to apply all of their learned managerial and leadership skills.
Program Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
- Seek an entry-level skill position in the food service industry
- Identify, establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures which meet industry quality standards
- Demonstrate and articulate an awareness of the cross-cultural, moral, ethical and environmental issues in hospitality organizations and their relationship with all stakeholders
- Analyze the food and beverage cost-control cycle and accounting practices, and implement controls to manage, maintain and ensure profitability
- Prepare a variety of international recipes using a variety of cooking techniques which meet industry quality standards
- Apply standard Human Resource principles in regards to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff
- Create a business plan for a food service outlet or hospitality company
Requirements for graduation:
Credit Hours: 180
Number of Weeks: 132 (12 quarters)
Contact Hours: 2,733