Offered at South University, Austin; South University, Cleveland; South University, Columbia; South University, High Point; South University, Montgomery; South University, Novi; South University, Online Programs; South University, Richmond; South University, Savannah; South University, Tampa; South University, Virginia Beach; and South University, West Palm Beach
The Bachelor of Arts in Psychology degree program is designed to provide students with a broad background in general education, and to provide initial training and quality instruction for students wishing to seek entry-level positions in psychology or a graduate degree in the behavioral sciences upon graduation. Graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major theories and content areas comprising the foundation of psychology.
- Actively engage in the process of critically evaluating concepts, theories, research, and applications in the field.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of cultural factors impacting the field of Psychology according to historical and current issues.
- Develop effective verbal and written communication skills necessary in the field. Specifically, students will demonstrate an ability to write and present psychological concepts including an ability to communicate clearly and effectively using APA style.
- Apply the principles of scientific methodology according to human, social, and applied context.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of current and future professional issues in the field of Psychology including an understanding of The Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate an understanding and articulate a need for continued professional growth in the field.
- Understand and articulate the connection between theory, concepts, research and clinical application in the field for current and emerging issues.
The program includes the required general education courses and completion of a core of required psychology courses covering a general foundation stressing the scientific study of human behavior. Additionally, students complete upper-level advanced courses in many disciplines in the field of psychology.
Behavioral Health Concentration
This program includes the required general education courses and completion of a core of required psychology courses covering a broad foundation stressing the scientific study of human behavior. Students will have an opportunity to learn advanced strategies in order to investigate and analyze mental health issues in the field and in the context of an individualized project. This concentration is designed to aid in the preparation of students pursuing graduate school or entry-level employment in the fireld of mental health.
This program includes the required general education courses and completion of a core of required psychology courses covering a broad foundation stressing the scientific study of human behavior. Students will have an opportunity to learn advanced strategies to investigate and analyze trends in human behavior (e.g., consumers). This concentration will also prepare students to understand the most effective methods of developing assessment strategies through quantitative and qualitative methodology while using multimedia technology. This concentration aids the preparation of students pursuing a career in the areas of Personnel Analyst, Market Researcher, Research Assistant, and those pursuing graduate school in Psychology.