2019-2020 South University Academic Catalog Version I [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Healthcare Administration (MHA)
Offered at South University, Online Programs; South University, Austin; South University, Savannah; and South University, West Palm Beach
The Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program at South University is designed to prepare students from a variety of backgrounds to seek employment in healthcare management and leadership upon graduation. The 12-course (48 credits) program is founded with the philosophy that healthcare leaders require strong competencies in both healthcare and management to be successful. Specifically competencies are addressed in contemporary healthcare management and leadership strategies, present healthcare systems and organizations, policy evaluation and planning techniques, financial management, and business operations. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a sound foundation in solving the problems of today's health systems, a greater understanding of management issues and to prepare them to seek employment in middle and senior management roles in health administration of hospitals and other health services organizations, as well as the private and public health infrastructure.
The Master of Healthcare Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Interpret the knowledge in healthcare management principles and content specific to finance, economics, strategy, human resources, information management, and ethics.
- Evaluate the impact of healthcare policy and law on the delivery and services provided by the industry
- Integrate market research with strategic planning in healthcare, evaluating a wide array of business processes and tools in healthcare operations management.
- Assess managerial and leadership challenges in healthcare
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and present information that is concise, clear, organized, supported, and persuasive in a professional manner appropriate to the healthcare industry.