2019-2020 South University Academic Catalog Version I [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
Offered at South University, Online Programs; and South University, Savannah
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree program at South University is designed to prepare students to seek employment teaching business courses in higher education or to practice their profession in business or consulting. The program is organized around three core areas: field specialization, research methods/statistics, and quality teaching instruction.
The program focuses on the discipline of organizational behavior, which is the study of human behavior in organizations. The discipline draws from the areas of industrial, organizational, and social psychology.
The Doctor of Business Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
The primary objective of the DBA degree program is to prepare graduates to seek employment in faculty positions in academic institutions. Another potential value of the degree program is that graduates may have the opportunity for advancement and for enhanced performance in their positions as senior executives and consultants. The DBA degree program is designed to help candidates develop skills in applied research by improving their methodological and analytical proficiency. These skills can help graduates advance in their academic careers or in their careers as senior managers or consultants.
Students have the opportunity to study the current research in the field, analyze and practice the research methods appropriate to the topics within the disciplines of organizational behavior and leadership, and develop appropriate methodologies to teach the topics to future students through the methods used in the discipline.
Online students are required to complete two residencies as part of the degree completion. One residency will take place early in the program and another will take place near the completion of their coursework prior to the start of their dissertation.
The South University DBA program is designed to be unique through the combination of the following items:
- Focuses on teaching, scholarship and service and as such mirrors the performance criteria for faculty within higher education.
- Includes instruction in quality methods of teaching in higher education through study and classroom observation.
- Includes a traditional preliminary exam and dissertation experience similar to PhD degree programs.
- Integrates management research paradigms as an organizing structure within content courses.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and apply contemporary theory of organizational behavior and leadership within their discipline and make contributions to the business administration knowledge base.
- Comprehend and apply the concepts, principles, and methods of researching business topics, and develop research designs using scientific investigation and systematic inquiry in an area of management. Emphasis will be placed upon directing research for peer reviewed journals, business practices, and consulting assignments.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding and practice of teaching and managing courses in higher education.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication related to the academic and professional environment. Students will demonstrate these skills in their coursework, instructional activities, and the dissertation.