2019-2020 South University Academic Catalog Version II
Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
Offered at South University, Columbia; South University, Online Programs; South University, Richmond; South University, Savannah; South University, Tampa; and South University, Virginia Beach.
The Post Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner is a 42-credit hour program designed for individuals who hold a master's degree in nursing that has prepared them for practice in another advanced role or in an advanced nursing specialty. The certificate program provides students the knowledge and decision making skills to provide direct advanced practice nursing health care services to individuals across the life span.
Post-master's students must successfully complete graduate didactic and clinical requirements of the master's specialization and are expected to master the same outcome competencies as master's students pursuing an MSN with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner, including the master's core competencies and the specialization competencies.
Courses may be waived if the individual's master's transcript indicates that s/he has successfully completed the required course or its equivalent. Waivers and exceptions will be determined for individual students through a gap analysis as determined by the Program Director or College Dean.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates should be able to:
- Integrate specialty standards of advanced practice nursing to deliver culturally competent, quality health care services to individuals, families, populations and systems.
- Exercise effective leadership, critical thinking and communication skills in the development and implementation of advanced nursing practice services in Primary Care.
- Integrate professional nursing standards, values and accountability into role and self-development as an advanced practice nurse.
- Utilize information technology and an evidence-based research approach development of nursing knowledge and design of health care services for clients, populations and systems.
- Ensure advanced levels of clinical judgment, systems thinking, and accountability in the implementation and evaluation of evidenced based care to diverse individuals and populations.