2018-2019 South University Academic Catalog Version II [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
Offered at South University, Novi, South University, Online Programs; and South University, Savannah
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree program at South University is designed to prepare students to seek employment teaching business courses in higher education or to practice their profession in business or consulting. The program is organized around three core areas: field specialization, research methods/statistics, and quality teaching instruction.
The Doctor of Business Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
The primary objective of the DBA degree program is to prepare graduates to seek employment in faculty positions in academic institutions. Another potential value of the degree program is that graduates may have the opportunity for advancement and for enhanced performance in their positions as senior executives and consultants. The DBA degree program is designed to help candidates develop skills in applied research by improving their methodological and analytical proficiency. These skills can help graduates advance in their academic careers or in their careers as senior managers or consultants.
To achieve its mission, the DBA degree program strives for excellence in the following broad areas:
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and values necessary to pursue their career goals.
- Develop an understanding of and approach to critical inquiry.
- Facilitate the transformation of students from dependent to independent learners.
- Foster a desire and need for lifelong learning.
- Engage students in all forms of scholarship including the scholarship of teaching.
- Expose students to the research process.
- Encourage students' scholarly inquiry into their field of study in order to increase the knowledge base within that field of study.
Academic and Professional Service
- Involve students in their field of study.
- Develop an enhanced sense of volunteerism and leadership and recognize its positive impact on the academic and professional community.
- Integrate the students' participation in the program into the students' professional lives.
This program allows the student to focus on a specialized area within the college while becoming familiar with the methods of conducting scholarly research and quality methods of teaching in higher education through a highly integrated curriculum. Students have the opportunity to study the current research in the field, analyze and practice the research methods appropriate to the topics within the field/discipline, and develop appropriate methodologies to teach the topics to future students through the methods used in the field.
Additionally, students are required to teach a course at South University under the mentorship of a South University faculty member. Students enrolled in the online program will teach a course in the online modality. Students enrolled in the campus-based program will teach a course in the face-to-face modality on the campus where they are enrolled. If the student has taught for South University or another institution, the student must still meet all the course and learning requirements expected of all DBA degree program students.
Online students are required to complete two residencies as part of the degree completion. One residency will take place early in the program and another will take place near the completion of their coursework prior to the start of their dissertation. Students must be physically present and active in each residency to earn completion of the residency requirement.
The South University DBA program is designed to be unique through the combination of the following items:
- Focuses on teaching, scholarship and service and as such mirrors the performance criteria for faculty within higher education.
- Requires a teaching experience as an instructor within South University.
- Includes a traditional preliminary exam and dissertation experience similar to PhD degree programs.
- Integrates management research paradigms as an organizing structure within content courses.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and apply contemporary theory within their discipline and make contributions to the business administration knowledge base.
- Comprehend and apply the concepts, principles, and methods of researching business topics, and develop research designs using scientific investigation and systematic inquiry in an area of management. Emphasis will be placed upon directing research for peer reviewed journals, business practices, and consulting assignments.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding and practice of teaching and managing courses in higher education.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication related to the academic and professional environment. Students will demonstrate these skills in their coursework, instructional activities, and the dissertation.