2017-2018 South University Academic Catalog Version II [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Offered at South University, Austin; South University, Cleveland; South University, Columbia; South University, High Point; South University, Montgomery; South University, Novi; South University, Online Programs; South University, Richmond; South University, Savannah; South University, Tampa; South University, Orlando Learning Site; South University, Virginia Beach; and South University, West Palm Beach.
The RN to BSN degree program at South University is designed to enhance the professional knowledge and employment scope for the licensed registered nurse. Concepts of nursing research and community health are key components of the curriculum. These educational experiences are designed to prepare professional nurses for practice today and well into the future. Graduates of the RN to BSN degree completion program meet the same program student learning outcomes whether in the on-campus BSN degree program or the online RN to BSN degree program.
Potential students must be comfortable with technology, selfmotivated, able to solve problems independently, have good organizational skills, good writing skills, and are prepared to invest time to their studies in both the on ground and online nursing programs. Forty-five credit hours of nursing credit will be accepted toward the BSN degree based upon graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates should be able to:
- Provide nursing care in a multitude of settings with technical proficiency that integrates foundational, discipline specific and interdisciplinary knowledge essential for professional practice.
- Integrate caring and concern for humanity with scientific knowledge to promote health and quality of life.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to adapt to the challenges of nursing practice of today and the future.
- Apply critical thinking skills in establishing priorities, delegating responsibility, and formulating decisions.
- Utilize the nursing process to promote health and well-being in persons, families and communities.
- Communicate effectively and collaboratively within nursing and other healthcare disciplines.
- Provide comprehensive holistic care to persons, families and communities in any healthcare setting.
- Collaborate with consumers and other health professionals to initiate improvements of healthcare and health promotion.
- Model professional behavior by accepting responsibility and accountability for individual nursing practice, and for commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Empower persons experiencing health challenges by providing education and promoting health and well-being.
- Demonstrate professionalism by advocating for legal, ethical, financial and political issues involving healthcare.